Skip to content
In order to obtain a  Canadian study permit, a Letter of Acceptance from a DLI is essential 
When you are planning to come to Canada to study at the post-secondary level, check the list of Canadian DLIs. 
If you want to stay in Canada after you graduate, make sure to select a DLI that will allow you to qualify for a Post-Graduation Work Permit.
Interested in making Canada your permanent home? We can help. Click here to learn more about pathways to permanent residence for international students

Frequently Asked Questions

What is Designated Learning Institution Number

Every post-secondary school that admits international students has a unique DLI number. The DLI number can be found on the study permit application form. It is the number that begins with the letter “O”.
If you want to come to Canada as an international student, first ensure that your school is on the list of Designated Learning Institutions (DLIs). 
Schools with several campuses or smaller colleges may have a different DLI number for each location.
Each province and territory in Canada is responsible for designating schools at the post-secondary level that may enroll international students. The designated learning institution list includes universities, colleges, CEGEPs, vocational schools and private career colleges and language schools. If you apply for a study permit and your letter of acceptance is from an institution that is not designated for international students, your application will be refused.

How to Change a Canadian DLI Number

While studying in Canada as international student on a valid study permit, you are permitted to change their level of study, institution of study, and/or program of study. However, foreign student may have to notify the appropriate immigration authority of the intended changes and  apply for a new study permit or get a study permit extension.

Changing Programs

If an international student chooses to change programs within the same designated learning institution (DLI), there is no requirement to change their study permit or contact IRCC to update them of the changes. There are, however, a few exceptions to this:
  • If the foreign national’s study permit has certain conditions listed on it and if these conditions will be affected by the change in programs, then they must contact IRCC to update them with the changes.
  • If the foreign national switches to a program of longer duration than the validity of their study permit, then they will have to apply to extend their study permit before the original expiration date.

Work While Studying

 Full-time international students are authorized to work up to 20-hours per week during regular school sessions and undertake full-time employment during scheduled breaks. Most Canadian study permits allow
The majority of study permits automatically grant international students the authorization to work while studying in Canada.